We will provide further information once it becomes available.
Key terms: Australian Citizenship
*This is a developing story. Further details may become available at a later date.*
The Australian Prime Minister and Minister for Immigration have held a joint media conference today and announced new (tougher) criteria for the Australian citizenship application. The changes include:
· residence of FOUR years as an Australian Permanent Resident before applying (increase from one year)
· demonstrate English language ability (potentially IELTS 6 but yet to be confirmed)
· demonstrate integration and contribution to the Australian community (employment, children in school, etc.)
· number of test attempts limited to THREE times. If you failed the test three times you will need to wait for another two years before you can take the test again
· stricter criminal background checks
· change to questions in the citizenship test to reflect Australian values
Comments by Chris Johnston – Principal Lawyer and Registered Migration Agent at Work Visa Lawyers
The Australian Government is introducing immigration policy changes in a flurry. The migrant community is now experiencing changes for the 457 visa abolishment and the citizenship application requirements. There may be further changes to parents visas as well following the discussion paper released last year.
This will be very disappointing for those who would have met the old requirements of one year of permanent residence. They will now have to wait for another three years before they can apply.
At this time it is best to be clear of the new application requirements before submitting your application. Always check that you meet the requirements before applying.
This information is accurate on 20 April 2017
Do you need help with an Australian visa or citizenship application?
At Work Visa Lawyers we are experienced in assisting applicants in all matters relating to Australian visa applications. Our areas of expertise include Skilled Migration visas, Business Skills Migration visas, Employer Sponsored Work Visas, Partner and other Family Migration visas as well as the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) Review, Judicial Review and Ministerial Intervention. We have also assisted applicants with Australian citizenship applications, especially for those with unusual circumstances.
If you require further information regarding your Australia visa or citizenship options you can contact us through:
(08) 8351 9956 or +61 8 8351 9956