Why Choose the Training visa (subclass 407)?

  • One of the most luring aspects of the Training visa is that there is no Skilling Australia Fund payment required. 
  • Experience requirements are often less compared to the 482, and vary according to the stream

What does the Temporary Work visa (subclass 400) allow you to do?

If you are outside of Australia at the time your visa is granted you will be allowed to:

  • travel to and enter Australia after your visa is granted
  • remain in Australia during the stay period granted (up to a maximum of 2 years), which begins on the day you first enter Australia, to do the training specified in your visa application
  • travel to and from Australia during the stay period granted.

If you are inside of Australia at the time your visa is granted you will be allowed to:

  • remain in Australia during the stay period granted, which begins on the date your visa is granted, to do the training specified in your visa application
  • travel to and from Australia during the stay period granted.

Who is this visa for?

The Temporary Work visa (subclass 407) is for people who would like to come to Australia to:

  • take part in workplace-based training to enhance your skills in your current occupation, area of tertiary study, field of expertise
  • participate in a professional development training program in Australia
  • stay in Australia for up to 2 years

This visa is not appropriate for persons whose sole intention is to work.

What are the different streams in the 407?

There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:

  • Nomination type 1 - Occupational training for registration
  • Nomination type 2 - Occupational training to enhance skills
  • Nomination type 3 - Occupational training for capacity building overseas
    • this type includes the following categories:
      • overseas qualification
      • government support
      • professional development.

Note: Workplace-based occupational training (not including professional development) must be for at least 30 hours a week, of which no more than 30 per cent can be classroom-based.

What are the initial criteria to be eligible for this visa?

You can apply for this visa if you are:

  • nominated (unless your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
  • invited (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
  • usually be at least 18 years of age

Further requirements to eligible?

  • You must provide evidence that you have functional English language skills to undertake the training
  • You might be asked to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members while in Australia
  • You must meet certain health requirements
  • You will be responsible for all health requirements as you will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme
  • You must meet certain character requirements
  • You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted
  • You must be paid a salary or wages in accordance with Australian laws and practices







Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Please let us know your name.

Please let us know your email address.

(Optional) I am interested in...
Invalid Input

View our recent newsletters

Our South Australia Immigration Lawyers

At Work Visa Lawyers we are experienced in assisting applicants in all matters relating to Australian visa applications. Our areas of expertise include Student Visas, Skilled Migration visas, Business visas, Employer-Sponsored visas, Partner, and other Family Migration visas, as well as Migration Review Tribunal, Judicial Review, and Ministerial Intervention. Based in Adelaide South Australia, our Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents provide migration advice to people and businesses from all over the world.

Copyright © 2021  MARA Code of Conduct   Privacy Policy   Disclaimer  Site Map

Contact us on (+61 8) 8351 9956

Office: 230 Henley Beach Road, Torrensville, SA 5031, Australia

Post: PO Box 3057, Hilton Plaza, South Australia, 5033, Australia

ABN: 75 889 635 782

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites