The Australian (subclass 500) Student Visa allows international students to live in Australia and participate in a course of study for up to 5 years.

You can apply for the student (subclass 500) visa while in Australia or off-shore. Once you have received your visa, you will be able to come to Australia to participate in an eligible course of study. Furthermore, eligible applicants will be able to bring their families with them to Australia.

What Can I Do On A Student Visa?

The Australian Student Visa (subclass 500) allows you to do much more than study. The student visa allows you to travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want and allows you to work 40 hours bi-weekly as soon as your course starts. Moreover, once you have completed your course, the subclass 500 visa will also allow you to apply for a different temporary or permanent visa, if eligible.

You can include family members when you lodge your visa application. For student visas, your eligible family members are:

  • your spouse or de facto partner, or
  • your, or your spouse or de facto partners’ dependent child who is unmarried and has not turned 18 years of age.

3 Main Student Visa Application Requirements

There are three main requirements every applicant must complete to apply for the Australian student visa (subclass 500) including;

  • You must be enrolled in a course of study in Australia
  • You must hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories, for your stay in Australia.
  • If you are under 18, you must prove you have a welfare arrangement

English Language Requirement

Unless you are exempt, you must meet the Student visa English language requirement by providing evidence that you achieved the applicable score on an approved English language test. The English language test must have been taken in the 2 years before you apply for a student visa.

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is one of the leading English test providers and has recently accommodated their testing platforms. IELTS now has computer-delivered tests to better assist students.

Check the table below to review all the different English Testing Providers and the minimum score accepted to prove evidence of English language for the subclass 500 visa.

English language test providersMinimum scoreMinimum score and at least 10 weeks English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)Minimum score and at least 20 weeks ELICOS
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6 5.5 5
TOEFL internet-based test 64 46 35
Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) 169 162 154
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) 50 42 36
Occupational English Test B for each test component B for each test component B for each test component

Other Student Visa Requirements

Other Australian student visa requirements include;

  • If you are a school student (but not participating in a secondary school student exchange program), you must be aged 6 or older to apply for this visa.
  • You must have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia.
  • You and any accompanying family members who apply for the visa must meet the health requirements
  • You and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa must meet character requirements
  • You must be a genuine temporary entrant (GTE) and intend to return home after studying in Australia. See how to avoid a GTE refusal.

How Do I Apply For An Australian Student Visa?

The application process for an Australian student visa is reasonably straightforward. The first step would be to research the intended courses, and the educational institution you wish to enroll in, then begin to schedule your health examinations.

Whether you are inside Australia or off-shore, you must apply for the Student Visa (subclass 500) online through your ImmiAccount. It is essential that you ensure all your documents and information is accurate.

Once you have submitted your application, Home Affairs will not provide any further updates on your application's progress but you will need to check your ImmiAccount to see if Home Affairs has requested more information from you.

If you did not attach all your documents when you applied, attach them as soon as you can in ImmiAccount.

How Will I Know If I Have Been Granted A Student Visa?

The Department of Home Affairs will email you once they have made a decision on your application.

The email will tell you:

  • your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts (when you can arrive in Australia)
  • your visa conditions

* Keep a copy of the email with you when in Australia.

If Home Affairs refuses your visa, the email will explain why you have been refused and whether you have a right to a review of the decision.

Student Visa Processing Times

Processing times for all Australian visas change over time and depend on the demand. The Department of Home Affairs website has listed the approximate student visa processing times.

Your application can take longer to process if:

  • you do not fill it in correctly
  • you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
  • it takes us time to verify your information

Do you need help with an Australian visa application?

At Work Visa Lawyers we are experienced in assisting applicants in all matters relating to Australian visa applications, including Student Visa applications. Our areas of expertise include Student Visas, Skilled Migration visas, Business Skills Migration visas, Employer-Sponsored Work Visas, Partner, and other Family Migration visas, as well as Migration Review Tribunal, Judicial Review and Ministerial Intervention.

If you require further information regarding your Australia visa options you can contact us through:

Phone: +61 8 8351 9956

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Work Visa Lawyers works on Kaurna Land
We acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and
Elders of this land and this nation, and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational
practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites