Who needs this visa?
The General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa is the most common visa programme for overseas professionals, managers, tradespersons and international graduates in Australia to apply for residency. The most common visa subclasses are:
What are the general criteria for this visa?
To apply for these visas you will need to meet the following requirements:
- be under 45 years of age
- have a nominated occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) or Consolidated Skilled Occupation List (CSOL)
- obtained a positive skills assessment
- have at least competent English - e.g. IELTS 6.0 for all bands or equivalent (higher scores may be required to be awarded additional points)
- score at least 65 points from the Point Test
From 1 July 2012, all applicants who are interested to apply for GSM visas must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) before proceeding with the visa application.
There are also subclass specific requirements to be met:
- A state/territory nomination or sponsorship is required for the subclass 190 Skilled Nominated visa
- A state/territory nomination or relative sponsorship is required for the subclass 489 Skilled Regional (provisional) visa. Your relative must have lived in a designated area for at least 2 years
The subclass 189 Skilled Independent visa does not require a state/territory or relative sponsor.
What is the application process?
- Check eligibility against points test
- Obtain positive skills assessment and required English test results
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect
- If applicable apply for state/territory nomination
- Submit visa application within 60 days of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) and include all supporting documents for the application
Do note that this is a simplified overview of the steps involved. Preparing and providing the right documents and information as required is an important factor in ensuring your application is processed smoothly.
How can Work Visa Lawyers help?
Work Visa Lawyers is highly experienced in all parts of the General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa applications. We are able to assist with all aspects of the application, and can also advise on complications in relation to:
- skills assessments
- nominating the appropriate ANZSCO code
- state/territory sponsorship applications
- difficulties in obtaining documents to demonstrate work experience or family relationships
- upcoming deadlines which will affect your points total, such as age or expiring documents. We prepare your application efficiently to enable your visa application to be submitted as quickly as possible
Work Visa Lawyers will provide an eligibility assessment before advising you to proceed with a visa application.
Our team of experienced Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents look forward to assisting you with your Australian visa or appeal.
Based in Adelaide South Australia, we provide Australian Immigration advice to people and businesses from all over the world.