Why Choose the Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408)?

One of the most attractive aspects of the Training visa is that there is no Skilling Australia Fund payment required. 

Another advantage of the Temporary Activity visa is that it has 10 different streams to choose from including:

  • Special Programmes
  • Religious Work
  • Research Activities
  • Invited for Other Social and Cultural Activity
  • Sporting Activities
  • Entertainment Activities
  • Superyacht Crew
  • Exchange Arrangements
  • Australian Government Endorsed Events
  • Domestic Work for Executives

What does the Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) allow you to do?

This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for the period that aligns with the activities that you have been approved to undertake on this visa. The maximum stay periods allowed are:
    • Invited participant activity type – up to three months
    • Australian Government endorsed event activity type – up to four years
    • Any other activity type – up to two years
  • do the work or activity specified in your application
  • bring eligible family members with you to Australia
  • enter and leave Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid.

While working, the Temporary Activity visa (Subclass 408) allows you to:

  • work in the entertainment industry
  • participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation
  • participate or observe in an Australian research project
  • work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement
  • participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs
  • participate in a special programme approved by the department that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits
  • do full-time religious work
  • be employed as a superyacht crew member
  • do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives
  • participate in a government endorsed event.

Who is this visa for?

The Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to undertake one of the following activities:

  • Entertainer: to work in the entertainment industry in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the-scenes role, such as directing, producing and other production roles.
  • Invited participant: for people who are invited for stays up to 3 months by an organisation operating in Australia to participate in a specific cultural or social event or events. For example, conferences, sporting, religious and other community events.
  • Researcher:
    • to participate or observe in an Australian research project after being invited to do so.
    • to undertake a research activity at an Australian tertiary or research institution related to your field of study.
  • Religious worker: to be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia.
  • Special program: to participate in an approved special program that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits.
  • Sport:
    • play, coach or instruct or adjudicate under contract to an Australian sporting club or organisation
    • participate in a high-level sports training program
  • Exchange: to work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:
    • give participants an opportunity to experience another culture
    • enhance international relations
    • broaden participants’ experience and knowledge.
  • Superyacht crew: to be employed as a superyacht crew member on board a superyacht in Australia.
  • Domestic worker (executive): to work full time in the household of certain senior foreign executives.
  • Australian Government endorsed event: to participate in a government endorsed major event.

This visa requires sponsorship if:

  • your stay in Australia is for more than three months
  • you apply in Australia.

There is no nomination required for this visa.

What are the initial criteria to be eligible for this visa?

You must:

  • have the skills to undertake the activity to be carried out in Australia
  • be supported or sponsored
  • meet additional requirements of the relevant stream

Further requirements if eligible?

  • You must satisfy the genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) 
  • You must provide evidence that you have functional English language skills to undertake the training
  • You might be asked to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members while in Australia
  • You must meet certain health requirements
  • You will be responsible for all health requirements as you will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme
  • You must meet certain character requirements
  • You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted

What is the application process?

Visa applications must be made online.

Applicants and agents can access online services by creating an account in ImmiAccount. Once you have gathered documents that support your application, create an account and apply using our online application system ImmiAccount.

After you have applied for your visa you might be required to do the following:

  • attend an interview
  • provide additional information
  • provide biometric information
  • provide police certificates.

Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete. If you do not provide the documents requested, your visa application could be refused.

Note: If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa.






Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Work Visa Lawyers works on Kaurna Land
We acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and
Elders of this land and this nation, and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational
practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites