This pathway recognises highly skilled migrants are hugely beneficial to Australia's national productivity, including through their support of critical sovereign capabilities and potential to grow the skills and expertise of the Australian workforce.
The Specialist Skills Visa will be available to applicants who meet the eligibility criteria, such as being nominated by an approved employer and meeting health and character requirements. In addition to this, it will be available to any occupation except trades workers, machinery operators and drivers, and laborers.
The applicant will need to have earnings of at least AU$ 135,000 a year.
The Specialist Skills visa processing time for the Specialist Skills pathway is expected to be very quick, only 7 days.
Key features for the Specialist Skills visa include:
- The Specialist Skills Visa will provide a four-year work visa.
- Visa holders will have the ability to move between sponsors with 180 days to find a new sponsor.
- The time spent with any approved employer will count toward permanent residence requirements. This will avoid the clock resetting with each employer.
- The Specialist Skills Visa will have a clear path to permanent residency in Australia.
- There will be a public register of sponsors to assist individuals in finding a new sponsor.
We will update this page as soon as we receive more information about the Specialist Skills Visa.
This article is updated regularly. Last updated: Thursday, 15th February 2024