Who needs this visa?

Parents from overseas who have half or more of their children living in Australia as Australian citizens or permanent residents may apply for a parent visa to join the majority of their children in Australia. The visa grants permanent resident status to the parents, meaning the parents can stay in Australia indefinitely and also receive Medicare.

There are different categories available to the parent visa. The categories include:

  • Parent visa (subclass 103)
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)
  • Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864)
  • Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
  • Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)
  • Aged Parent visa (subclass 804)

What are the requirements to apply?

The main criterion for the parent visas is that you will need to pass the “Balance of Family Test”. The Balance of Family Test requires half or more of your children to be in Australia living as an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The table below illustrates further:


Total number of children Number of children usually living in Australia Number of children usually living in countries other than Australia Meets balance of family test
Country A Country B Country C Country D
1 1 - - - - Yes
2 1 1 - - - Yes
3 1 2 - - - No
3 1 1 1 - - No
4 2 2 - - - Yes
4 1 1 1 1 - No
4 1 2 1 - - No
5 1 1 1 1 1 No
5 2 1 1 1 - Yes
5 3 2 - - - Yes
6 2 2 2 - - No


What is the application process?

The parent visas can only be submitted by post or courier to the DIBP office in Perth.

For the application you will need to show your children’s birth certificates and documents proving the locations where they live.

Depending on the parent visa category you applied for you may wait 2 years for a Contributory Parent visa or up to 30 years for a non-Contributory Parent visa.

If you are applying for the Contributory Parent visa the 2nd instalment fee of A$ 43 600 (as of 15 November 2016) is payable just before the visa is granted.

How can Work Visa Lawyers help?

Work Visa Lawyers will be upfront about the options available for overseas parents to join their children in Australia. Depending on your circumstances there may be other visa options that are more suitable for the family to be reunited. Contact Work Visa Lawyers today to discuss and find out what is the best way for your parents to join you in Australia.

Our team of experience Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents look forward to assisting you with your Australian visa or appeal.

Based in Adelaide South Australia, we provide Australian Immigration advice to people and businesses from all over the world.

Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Work Visa Lawyers works on Kaurna Land
We acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and
Elders of this land and this nation, and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational
practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites