Why Choose the Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400)
- Shorter processing times, so better for meeting employer's needs quickly
- Must be a specialist position that employers cannot fill from within Australia
- No Skilling Australia Fund payment required
What does the Temporary Work visa (subclass 400) allow you to do?
This visa lets you to:
- Stay in Australia while your visa is valid (generally up to three months, but up to six months may be allowed in limited circumstances)
- Do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work for which you were granted the visa
- In limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests
- Bring members of your family with you to Australia (if they meet the requirements for including family members in your application)
Note: Your family members will not be allowed to work in Australia on this visa.
Who is this visa for?
You can apply for this visa if you want to enter Australia to:
- do short-term, highly specialized, non-ongoing work
- in limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests.
What are the initial criteria to be eligible for this visa?
To qualify for the Temporary Work visa (subclass 400) you must be invited, or supported, by the organisation you will be working for. The candidate must have specialist skills, knowledge or experience that is needed but cannot be found in Australia
Further requirements if eligible
- Must be able to financially support yourself and your family members who come with you to Australia
- You must meet certain health requirements
- You will be responsible for all health requirements as you will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme
- You must meet certain character requirements.
- You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
What is the application process?
- You must apply online using your ImmiAccount
- Upload all relevant documents with your online application
- pay the visa application charge when you apply
- Wait for the decision
Please note that your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete. Also, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa.