All News

Can I Apply for the 407 Training Visa? Eligibility and Requirements

Training Visa Australia

With the end of the Covid 408 Visa and changes to the 485 Graduate Visa, including the reduction of the age limit from 50 to 35, we are receiving many questions about what other temporary visa options are available.

One of the alternatives is the 407 Training Visa.

What is the 407 Training Visa?

The 407 Training Visa allows you to take part in workplace-based occupational training activities to improve your skills for your job, area of tertiary study, field of expertise or in a professional development training program in Australia.

This visa can be granted for up to 2 years, allowing you to work and live in Australia.

Visa Eligibility

  • Applicants must be sponsored by an eligible employer in Australia, and they must be nominated to enter a specific training program.
  • The applicant needs to demonstrate that they have functional English (IELTS: An average band score of at least 4.5 based on the 4 test components / PTE: A total band score of at least 30 based on the 4 test components). 
  • Must meet health and character requirements.
  • The occupation for training must be on the 407 list.

Application Process

The process involves finding an eligible sponsor who will nominate you for a specific training program. Once nominated, the applicant can then apply for the visa.

Sponsorship and Nomination

The visa requires sponsorship by an organization or government and a formal nomination of the specific training program to be undertaken.

This visa provides an excellent opportunity for professional development.

407 Training Visa

Types of Training

There are three types of training that can be approved under this visa:

  • Workplace-based training required for registration: This type is suitable for those who need to complete a period of practical training, a requirement to obtain a license or professional registration for employment in their occupation in Australia or their home country.
  • Structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation: This is for people who need to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.
  • Training that promotes capacity building overseas: Including overseas students sponsored by the government, employees nominated by their employer for training, and training in Australia as part of a government-to-government agreement.

Key Requirements

  • The applicant must need training. 
  • The applicant must be a recent graduate or early in their career or need a workplace placement.
  • A detailed training plan is required from the sponsor.  The plan must identify the training needs and how they will be met.
  • Training visas are generally not suitable for people with, for example, 10 years of experience who want to work.

Why Choose the 407 Training visa?

  • One of the most attracting aspects of the 407 Training Visa is that there is no Skilling Australia Fund payment required. 
  • Experience requirements are often less compared to the Employer-sponsored 482 Visa and vary according to the stream.

If you already have a sponsor and want to find out if you are eligible to apply for a 407 visa, please book an appointment. We will be happy to assist you with your visa application.

Do you need help with a 407 Training Visa application?

Our team of experienced Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents is ready to assist you with your visa application.

Based in Adelaide, South Australia, we provide Australian immigration advice to people and businesses from all over the world.

You can book an appointment online or call us at (+61) 8 8351 9956.


Federal Register of Legislation - Migration (LIN 19/050: Specification of Occupations—Subclass 407 Visa) Instrument 2019


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Tuesday, 18 June 2024

Related Posts

Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Work Visa Lawyers works on Kaurna Land
We acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and
Elders of this land and this nation, and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational
practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites