Limited Offer for the Month of May.
Half price initial appointment fees.

$125 for 60mins and $65 for 30mins

arrange an appointment

Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Please let us know your name.

Please let us know your email address.

(Optional) I am interested in...
Invalid Input

View our recent newsletters

All News

Coronavirus response - State Governments Step Up to Support International Student - SA, NT, ACT and Victoria

International uni students

Support for International Students 

International students in Australia are ineligible for the welfare payments and income supplements that were recently announced by the Federal Government. Currently, the JobSeeker and JobKeeper schemes are accessible by Australian citizens, permanent residents and subclass 444 visa holders.

Income assistance has not been provided to international students at the federal level. The following state governments are stepping up to help students facing financial hardship during these unprecedented times:

South Australia

The South Australian Government has announced a new $13.8 million International Student Support Package for South Australian-based international students. There are three components to the package:

1. Public Universities - University of Adelaide, Flinders University & the University of South Australia

The South Australian Government will match funding by the state’s three public universities to allocate to their international students.

Students studying at one of the three universities can apply for support by contacting their university.


2. Other International Students

Other students not studying at a public university will be given a $500 emergency cash grant. Eligibility criteria are still being formalized but the grant will be available to the following students through the Department of Human Services:

  • English language students (excluding students on packaged programs with one of South Australia’s three public Universities)
  • Vocational Education and Training (VET) students
  • Higher education students studying with one of South Australia’s private higher-education institutions

Register your interest here and the link to the application form will be sent to you as soon as it is available.


3. School Students

Homestay families of school students in South Australia will receive a one-off $200 payment to help support accommodation for school students.



Northern Territory

On 3 April 2020, the Northern Territory Government announced the Worker and Wellbeing Fund to support international students who have lost their jobs or have had their income reduced due to Coronavirus restrictions.

How to Apply 

Contact Red Cross on +61 403 987 018 to access emergency relief and support

For more information, read the factsheet here.




The Victorian Government is creating job opportunities for international students through its $500 million Working for Victoria program. In addition, the state government is facilitating online training to enhance skills as part of the program. There are two types of training offered:

  • do a free short online training unit in an area where Victorian employers are currently looking for workers
  • do a free TAFE course that leads to a recognised qualification in an area where Victorian employers are likely to be looking for workers as the economy recovers. (Tuition is free, but you may need to pay materials and student services fees.)

How to Apply

International students with working rights are eligible to apply.

Register online on Sidekicker for job opportunities and training availabilities.


Australian Capital Territory

On 20 April 2020, the ACT announced a $20 million Jobs for Canberrans fund to provide employment opportunities with the ACT Public Service. To be eligible to apply for roles, people must have lost their job, or have been significantly impacted as a result of COVID-19.

Priority for jobs will be given to those who are ineligible for existing Federal Government support, including international students.

How to Apply

Register for an account here to be notified of vacancies and apply for jobs.

These are the current job opportunities under this program:



On 22 April 2020 the Tasmanian Government unveiled a $3 million package to support 26,000 temporary visa holders affected by the Coronvirus pandemic in Tasmania. These visa holders include students, fruit pickers and skilled workers.

The package is to be rolled out in four stages:

  1. One-off payment of $250 for individuals and up to $1,000 for families who are experiencing immediate financial hardship as a result of the Coronavirus
  2. Emergency relief funds to non-governmental organisations that assist temporary visa holders
  3. Financial support and travel advice for temporary visa holders who can return to their home country
  4. Help employers retain their temporary visa holding employees

How to Apply

Visa holders wishing to access the assistance grants or are wanting to return to their home country should call the Public Hotline on 1800 671 738





Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Please let us know your name.

Please let us know your email address.

(Optional) I am interested in...
Invalid Input

View our recent newsletters

Our South Australia Immigration Lawyers

At Work Visa Lawyers we are experienced in assisting applicants in all matters relating to Australian visa applications. Our areas of expertise include Student Visas, Skilled Migration visas, Business visas, Employer-Sponsored visas, Partner, and other Family Migration visas, as well as Migration Review Tribunal, Judicial Review, and Ministerial Intervention. Based in Adelaide South Australia, our Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents provide migration advice to people and businesses from all over the world.

Copyright © 2020  MARA Code of Conduct   Privacy Policy   Disclaimer  Site Map

Contact us on (+61 8) 8351 9956

Office: 230 Henley Beach Road, Torrensville, SA 5031, Australia

Post: PO Box 3057, Hilton Plaza, South Australia, 5033, Australia

ABN: 75 889 635 782

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites