All News

Best 5 Courses to Study in Australia for Permanent Residency (PR) - Maximize Your Education Spend!

What are the 5 best courses to study in Australia in 2024 to obtain Permanent Residency?

Australia is home to 43 universities, some of which are among the world's top 100. Australia is a safe and welcoming country attracting many students who want to settle in Australia and obtain Australian Permanent Residency. So, let's get started!

After completing their studies, there are two main visa paths students can follow to obtain PR:

The courses we are mentioning have strong options in both paths. If you are interested, please book an appointment here.


Social work is becoming increasingly popular for securing permanent residency in Australia.

  • A bachelor’s degree in Social Work is usually a 3-year degree with a tuition fee of roughly AUD 18,000 per year.
  • Ensure the degree you enrol in is accredited by the Australian Community Workers Association (ACWA).
  • Social Work is on the medium-term list and can lead to a Skilled Independent visa or 190 or 491. Employer sponsorship is also an option.
  • Under a Ministerial Direction, Social Work currently receives priority processing.
  • Skills assessment: The Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).


With a shortage of houses in Australia, the Government is encouraging the construction of more houses. Carpenters are in high demand in terms of employability:

  • Diploma-level qualifications related to Carpentry is a two-year course with a tuition fee of approximately AUD 10,000 per year.
  • This is a very good option if you are looking for a trade course that may lead to PR.
  • Trade occupations must complete a job-ready program to get a positive skill assessment from TRA with a minimum of 12 months of full-time work experience or equivalent.
  • Be aware that graduates of trade courses can only obtain an 18-24 month temporary graduate visa 485.
  • Skills assessment: Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

Here are some common types of carpenters in Australia:

  • Joiner carpenter
  • Framework carpenter
  • Formwork carpenter
  • Green carpenter


  • Advanced Diploma in Civil Construction Design is a two-year course with a tuition fee of roughly AUD 12,000 per year.
  • One of the advantages of the course is that you can get a skills assessment done by Engineers Australia without any work experience and apply for a 485 Graduate Visa, and then further for any of the GSM visas.
  • The occupation related to this course is on the medium- and long-term skills list, which means that this occupation is eligible for all three GSM visas, including 189, 190, and 491.

After obtaining this qualification, potential job roles may include:

  • Civil Engineering Technician
  • Civil Engineering Design Draftsperson
  • Civil Engineering Draftsperson
  • Senior civil construction designer
  • Structural Engineering Drafting officer
  • Road Design Draftsperson

Number 2: TEACHER

 A Bachelor of Teaching is a 4-year degree with a tuition fee of approximately AUD 18,000 per year.

  • For those with a relevant degree, a Master of Teaching is a two-year course.
  • Teachers are on the medium-term list with several PR application options, and they are also a high priority in processing, similar to Registered nurses.
  • Different universities have different admission criteria, so be sure to check with us if you are interested in this course.
  • Under a Ministerial Direction, Teaching currently receives priority processing.

Skills assessment: Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL).

To work as a teacher, you will need to register as a teacher after completing your course.

In-demand teachers in Australia include:

  • Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teacher
  • Middle School Teacher
  • Primary School Teacher
  • Secondary School Teacher
  • University lecturer
  • Special Education Teachers


Registered Nurses have the highest priority in processing.

  • Registered nurses are on the medium-term list with several PR application options such as Skilled Visa (Subclass 189, 190, and 491), Employer-Sponsored Visa, and DAMAs.
  • A Bachelor of Nursing is a 3-year degree with a tuition fee of roughly AUD 30,000 per year.
  • One of the basic requirements for enrolment in this course is an English test result equivalent to IELTS 7 bands in each module.
  • Skills assessment: Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC).

As a Registered Nurse, you may choose from various specialties, including:

  • Aged Care
  • Mental Health
  • Critical Care and Emergency
  • Medical
  • Perioperative
  • Midwife


Many more course options can provide you with a pathway to permanent residency. Please contact us if you are looking for something that suits your career needs.

In December 2023, the Australian Government introduced in the Migration Strategy the Skills in Demand Visa with three pathways: Specialist SkillsCore Skills, and Essential Skills. The new Skills in Demand visa will replace the Temporary Skills Shortage 482 Visa and provide more flexibility to workers and employers. The Skills in Demand Visa are set to be implemented in late 2024.

Study in Australia

Do you need help with an Australian visa application?

Our team of experienced Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents look forward to assisting you with your visa application.

Based in Adelaide, South Australia, we provide Australian Immigration advice to people and businesses from all over the world.

You can book an appointment online or call us at (+61) 8 8351 9956.


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Thursday, 30 May 2024

Related Posts

Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Work Visa Lawyers works on Kaurna Land
We acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and
Elders of this land and this nation, and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational
practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites