The main skills assessing authorities are:
- VETASSESS: For generic business occupations
- Trades Recognition Australia (TRA): For tradesworkers
- Australian Institute of Management (AIM): For management level occupations
- Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC): For nurses and midwives
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA): For medical and health professionals
- Engineers Australia: For engineers of all disciplines
- Australian Computer Society (ACS): For all ICT professionals
- Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA): For accountants
- Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL): For teachers at all levels
There are many other assessing authorities specific to each occupation. You can access the list of skills assessing authorities at the DIBP website here.
Some occupations, such as Engineers, are required to demonstrate skills and knowledge through extensive reports. Some application streams for trade occupations may also require you to have your skills assessed in a practical setting.
Some skills assessments also require you to demonstrate a minimum level of English in order to practice in Australia.
Obtaining a positive skills assessment is an important step in your Australian Visa application. If you are unsure of which authority is relevant for your occupation, or about the skills assessment criteria, we can help.
Our team of experienced Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents look forward to assisting you with your skill assessment process and Australian visa application.
Based in Adelaide South Australia, we provide Australian Immigration advice to people and businesses from all over the world.