State Sponsorship News

Have you missed State sponsorship for a 190 in NSW or Victoria? Here are 10 options to consider!

Have you missed State sponsorship for a 190 in NSW or Victoria? Here are 10 options to consider!


Have you missed State sponsorship for a 190 in NSW or Victoria? Here are 10 options to consider!



This is not an exhaustive list of options, but it may be a helpful starting point to turn your focus the possible options

1. Check the lists of other States and Territories for your occupation to see if you can obtain sponsorship somewhere else in Australia

Here are links to the relevant authorities:

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales

Northern Territory


South Australia



Western Australia

Skilled visas

 Business visas

2. Try to secure a position with an employer to sponsor you for a 457, RSMS or ENS

The acceptable positions for a 457 and ENS are on the CSOL.

The RSMS is available for all skill level 1, 2 and 3 positions.

Here is a link to an explanation of to skills levels:[email protected]/Lookup/1220.0Chapter32013,%20Version%201.2

3. Are you eligible for a Graduate Visa (485) or Skilled—Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476) for Engineering Graduates?

These are great visas to allow you the time to get a relevant job to boost your chances of applying for a skilled visa.

You can try to get one year of skilled experience towards an occupation on the SOL or CSOL.

You could also try to get a job with an employer, who may be able to sponsor you for a skilled visa.


4. Are you able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa (417) or a Work and Holiday Visa (462)?

These visas are only eligible for a select number of countries.

You will have to apply from outside Australia.


5. Consider further studies – with a view to obtaining a qualification in line with the current SOL and CSOL

Here are links to the SOL and CSOL:

6. If you study a suitable course in a Regional Area full time for two years then you may get up to five points for Regional study towards the subclass 190 or 489.

From the Immigration site:

“Study in regional Australia

You can receive five points if each of the following applied:

- you met the Australian Study requirement

- if you have lived and studied in regional Australia or a low population-growth metropolitan area

none of the study undertaken constituted distance education.


7. If you study in a Regional area then you have a greater chance of securing state sponsorship, because the lists are more generous.

As mentioned above, you can check the lists of the various states and territories.


8. Consider studying a further course in Tasmania that will give you an occupation on the SOL or CSOL

The state or territory lists tend to be more generous in Regional areas.  Tasmania is very proactive in sponsoring its graduates and so offers a great opportunity for those who want to maximise there chance of sponsorship with then finish their studies. 

9.. Do you have a family member in SA who could sponsor you for Chain Migration?

The details for chain migration are provided on the Immigration SA website.

They include that:

          “Chain Migration is a state nomination pathway for applicants who have an immediate family member permanently residing in South Australia.

12.6.1 The family member residing in South Australia must be the applicant’s grandfather, grandmother, father, mother, brother or sister. Applicants can still apply if it’s a step or adoptive parent / sibling.

12.6.2 The family member must be over 18 years of age.

12.6.3 The family member in South Australia must be either an Australian Permanent Resident or an Australian Citizen.

12.6.4 The family member must be currently residing in South Australia and have resided in South Australia for the last twelve months.”

Further details can be found at:

10. Contact a Registered Migration Agent and Migration Institute of Australia member, for a professional opinion on your visa options

Here is a link the the Migration Institute of Australia, which lists relevant Agents.

I am a qualified Lawyer, Registered Migration Agent and a Member of the MIA and can provide you with professional advice on your options.

Here are my contact details:

 (08) 7225 5091 or +61 8 7225 5091  

or   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



DIBP website and State and Territory Websites.


 This information is accurate on the 22 October 2014.  State/Territory Bodies and DIBP will change requirements in an ongoing manner and all current requirements must be established prior to lodging an application. 

Do You Need Help?

At Work Visa Lawyers we are experience in assisting applicants with the Expression of Interest, State Sponsorship and Visa application process for state sponsored subclasses 190 and 489.  We can also assist with the Independent 189.

If you require further information regarding an application or your Australian visa options

you can contact us through:

 (08) 7225 5091 or +61 8 7225 5091  

or   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Work Visa Lawyers works on Kaurna Land
We acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and
Elders of this land and this nation, and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational
practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites