All News

5 Visa Options if You Are 36 Years Old or Over and Can’t Qualify for a 485 Graduate Visa

Australian Visas 1

In December 2023, the Australian government announced a new Migration Strategy, introducing significant changes to various visa programs, including the Graduate Visa.

The main change will be the reduction of the maximum eligible age from under 50 to 35 years or under, proposed to be implemented on July 1, 2024.

These reforms are set to impact many people currently studying in Australia, prospective students, and the education sector, as the substantial reduction in age eligibility could make Australia less attractive for those seeking study opportunities and a pathway to permanent residency.

So, if you are 36 years old or over and can’t qualify for a 485 Graduate Visa, here are 5 visa options you may be eligible to apply for:

1. Skilled Nominated Visas (190 or 491)

Use your existing experience and qualifications to get a positive skills assessment and apply for the Skilled Nominated Visas 190 or 491.

Minimum requirements for the Skilled Nominated 190 Visa:

  • Have an occupation on the relevant skilled list
  • Have a positive skills assessment
  • Be invited to apply for this visa
  • Satisfy the points test (65 points or more)
  • Be under 45 years old
  • Have at least competent English

Minimum requirements for the 491 Skilled Work Regional Visa:

  • Be nominated to apply by a state or territory
  • Have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list
  • Have a positive skills assessment
  • Be invited to apply
  • Be under 45 years old
  • Satisfy the points test (65 points or more)
  • Have at least competent English

2. Employer-Sponsored Work Visa (Subclass 482)

If you have two years of full-time experience (down to one year from November 2024), find an employer and apply for a 482 Employer-Sponsored Work Visa.

Minimum requirements for the Temporary Skill Shortage 482 Visa:

  • Be nominated for a skilled position by an approved sponsor
  • Have the right skills to do the job
  • Have at least 2 years of relevant work experience as above in your nominated occupation or a related field
  • No age requirement for this visa
  • English requirements: Short-term stream - Overall band score of at least 5.0 with a score of at least 4.5 in each component. Medium-term stream - Overall band score of at least 5.0 with a score of at least 5 in each component

3. Training Visa (Subclass 407)

If you do not have post-qualification experience, then apply for a 407 Training Visa for two years to gain professional development.

Minimum requirements for the 407 Training Visa:

  • Must be sponsored by an eligible employer in Australia
  • Must be nominated to enter a specific training program
  • Must have functional English
  • No age requirement for this visa

4. Partner Visa

If you have an Australian partner.

Minimum requirements for the Partner Visa:

  • Be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Must be 18 or older

5. Another Australian Student Visa (Subclass 500) 

If you can find a suitable course to undertake.

Minimum requirements for a Student Visa:

  • Be a genuine student
  • Be enrolled in a course of study in Australia
  • Hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

If you want to know if you are eligible to apply for one of these visas, please book an appointment here. We will be happy to assist you.

Do you need help with an Australian visa application?

Our team of experienced Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents look forward to assisting you with your visa application.

Based in Adelaide, South Australia, we provide Australian Immigration advice to people and businesses from all over the world.

You can book an appointment online or call us at (+61) 8 8351 9956.


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Tuesday, 18 June 2024

Related Posts

Sign up to our Migration Newsletter

Work Visa Lawyers works on Kaurna Land
We acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and
Elders of this land and this nation, and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational
practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

This site's contents are for general information purposes only
We recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent and Lawyer
(such as Work Visa Lawyers) in relation to your factual situation and relevant migration laws

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Site by Adelaide Websites